Fill in the Blank

Anindita anindita
Fri Apr 18 14:54:11 PDT 2003

The computer is a tool and a medium like a piano or a pen, for
communication and expression (which is what I believe you are saying, it's
not an end). . . I'm not quite sure how it connects to the previous
statement though.  Can you explain it a little more?

I think sometimes one only appreciates Shakespeare when it's staged, or
that serves as an entry into enjoying Shakespeare in different ways.
Again, they're different media.  Music can be played on a piano, guitar,
sung. . . each tool or medium highlights different aspects of the same
piece, like reading a poem vs. reciting a poem.  Multiple tools, multiple
media, multiple representations, experiences and understandings.  And
sometimes a particular tool or medium resonates with an individual more
than another, so some people can connect with watching Shakespeare more
immediately than reading it whereas others prefer the reverse.

Anindita