Summer Camp

Edwin Pilobello e_pilobello
Fri Apr 18 14:54:12 PDT 2003

Squeak and interactive story-telling go hand in hand, doesn't it?

I dragged myself, kicking and screaming, into the game development
theme.  It's only in the past few months that I've started to develop
pedagogy for the Nintendo Generation.

Currently, we're pushing "Programming" as "The Language of Technology".
That seems to sell real well along with changing class titles. It used
to be "Logo Programming".  Its now a series of repeatable classes
anchored by "Code Programming : Game Development".  I've also switched
to ELICA (Educational Logo Interface for Creative Arts) which uses
OpenGL to render 3D graphics and has an object oriented design.

In addition, I'm also preparing to co-teaching a Flash 5 course. I'll
teach Actionscript while the other instructor, a professional graphics
artist, teaches the art animation.  This is a long way from my teaching
VB, C++ and Java.

Right now, I'm trying to learn Squeak Alice.  I want to explore the
creation of a "specially for girls" role playing/simulation game where
each player programs a character in the story.  I'm taking my cues from
IBM's Robocode "mostly boys" programming battle tank game.

Does the computer amplify the teacher's ability?  Most certainly!  Of
course, I've been a programmer for 25 years.

Cheers,
Edwin