Summer Camp Questions

Ken Kahn kenkahn
Fri Apr 18 14:54:13 PDT 2003

Vincent wrote:

> As for the "either or" condition of "learning computer" or "using
computer",
> one of my favorite approaches to teaching young people and old is to have
> them use the computer to learn something that interests THEM.  To me, it
> always goes back to asking the person about THEIR interests, interviewing
> them.  Then, where possible, customizing the instruction to meet their
> needs.  This makes a hybrid approach, blending the two options you
mentioned.

The great thing about computer programming is that computers are so
versatile they are a good match for so many different interests. The
question is how to teach. I used to think the answer was to teach the
fundamentals and give a sense of how many different things can be built. But
I find that only a few kids do well and most seem lost and confused. So
lately I've tried to provide much more focused material and it seems to work
much better. But focused material runs counter to the notion of having the
kids pursue their own personal interests.

To be concrete, most recently I've helped kids learn how to make interesting
variants of the classic Pong game. Fine, but if the kid's interest is in
story telling or adventure games then none of the material or planned
activities is a fit.

Best,

-ken kahn ( www.toontalk.com )