Squeak Newbie-Morphic/Squeak Questions-TIA

Just4Fun Just4Fun000
Fri Apr 18 14:54:42 PDT 2003

Hello and TIA for any help that you might decide to offer a newbie to
Squeak!

I've been around computers and programming for some while, but I just
stumbled on to Squeak! I've searched for documentation and looked at
some of the tutorials. I've also purchased a book that really doesn't
seem to apply(too old). I've also searched this forum, but not really
finding what I am after so I wonder if you could help clarify some
questions that I have?

  1. Squeak! looks more like an authoring system (aka-Multimedia
Fusion, Click & Create, MediaForge etc). Yet it seems much more
portable than most of them and it also seems to compile to C! Is
Squeak! a language that works like an authoring system?

  2. I've looked at the tutorials that are included with Squeak!, but
I can't tell how (or where) the actual script is happening. I'd like,
for example to figure out how to place a button on the world and have
it respond to a user's button click. When I look at the Morphic
script area in the tutorials, I don't see that there is anything
happening. Where do I look to see examples of how something is
happening in Squeak?

  3. AFAIK, the documentation for Morphic and Squeak is terrible. Is
there any documentation that actually tells what all of Morphic menus
do and how to use them? This seems like a feature that would be
helpful in the development system, but maybe I'm missing something.

Squeak! seems like a fantastic language. I'm not mathematical and
I've tried many languages. I like authoring programs, but they aren't
portable to various platforms and their runtimes are huge. I would
like to develop for my Jornada 720 WindowsCe machine, my palm
machine, etc.Is there some documentation related to pda development
someplace. I've only found a couple of sites and they don't deal with
much basic stuff.

  Thanks again for any help that you might like to offer.