Etoy issues

Bob Arning arning
Fri Apr 18 14:54:42 PDT 2003

Jahanzeb

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:48:26 -0800 Jahanzeb Sherwani <jahanzeb at lums.edu.pk> wrote:
>Thanks a lot... this is what I was looking for. Is there more info about
>this on the www.squeak.org site?

>Is there any way to create a middle ground between the squeakland tiles and
>the world-browser-code type thing? I remember reading about the three
>levels of Squeak, targetted to elementary school-kids, a middle audience,
>and then expert users... did anything become of the middle one?

Well, you can try turning on the preference 'universalTiles' which make tile programming look a bit more like programming and a little less like tiles. This may be hard to back out of, so don't do it if you need to get back to where you started without quitting and restarting Squeak.

>Also, is there any way to make the tiles' code transparent? For instance,
>if I want to see how a the 'bounce' tile makes the object bounce and apply
>the same algorithm to a 'color sees' test block's 'yes' section, is there
>any way to copy paste code or something of the sort between these two parts?

While still in "classic" mode (i.e. before enablilng universalTiles) in each tile script there is a menu item to 'show code textually'. This will let you see a bit more under the hood. What you will see, however, are generally simple messages sent to self, in the case of bounce, something like:

	self bounce: 'croak'

You can find the implementation of #bounce: by highlighting the word including the colon and pressing cmd-m (or alt-m).

As to going back and forth, that's a bit trickier. Tiles only show a subset of normal Squeak/Smalltalk and thus may fail if you make changes textually that are outside this subset. Once you start changing a script (method in normal Squeak parlance) textually, it's best to stay in text mode for that script.

Cheers,
Bob