Partial List of Etoy Projects

Dreyfuss Pierre-Andre EDU pierre-andre.dreyfuss
Fri Apr 18 14:54:48 PDT 2003

Hi, I'm new with E-Toys but working from some times with kids 12 - 15 years
old.

I made tic tac toe with differents laguages, logo , toontalk and the last
one was Delphi and I'll just start doing it with E-Toys.

First step is to build the interface.
Use a text to show who's turn to play. Name this text 'turn'
This text will show x then o then x ...
So write the script 'next' which is changing x into O or O into x.
This is done with a test tile.
Something like

test turn's character = 'x'
  yes : turn's character <- 'o'
  no  : turn's character <- 'x'

Take another text and name it 'cell'
Build just a cell (you'll copy this cell when it is working to get the 9
cells.)

You can define a script which should be fired with mouseup.
If you try to mouseup on the text you'll just open the text for editing,
since the mouse is already used for that.
But the script will work if it receives a mouseup message from the tile
fire.
The solution is to cover the text with a transparent playfield embeded in
the text.
Make a little square with a playfield, using the color halo button set
translucent to 0. The square is transparent put it on the text and use the
menu embeded to embeded it in the cell.
Now write a script in the cell

cell's character <-- turn's character.
turn's next

set normal to mouseup for this script.

write a script into the playfield with

cell's fire in it.

Set normal to mouseup for this script

now copy this object using the green halo button to make the 9 cells.

We need to make a button to clear the cells.

Use a press me button and the green point in the bottom of its halo.
Turn the script to tile  (click the black square on the right of the round
collaspse button.

Then for each cell get the tile character <--  and put a space  as value.

cell's character <- ' '
cell1's character <- ' '

and so on.

Now two humans can play tic tac toe.
Up this point I did it with squeak while writing this script  and it is
working.

Now I just describe what should be done .

Step 2  We want to change in upper case a whole line of X  or O.

To do this we have to make 8 scripts one for each line
and probably 8 for the three  X and eight for the three O.

We have to avoid playing in a cell containing something different of a
space.

step 3
If you succeed watching lines of three x or three o,

then it will be not too difficult to search lines with two x and a space
or lines with two o and a space.

Now the algorithm for the computer.

First search if the computer has a line with two marks and a space.
if yes just play at the place of this space and computer win.

If not search a line with two marks to avoid  loosing.

If not try to play at center

if not try a corner
if not try the middle of rows.

If the computer starts you'll get null.
If you starts you have a chance to win.

You can improve this searching other specials lines.
But remember if the computer is playing the best way , there is no more
play, (see the movie War game ).
 There is no Winner, only null play.

Best regards
P-A Dreyfuss

PS I'll post next week the addfrench method I have wrote to translate
the scripts into french.