I want to document but I need to learn first!

John Steinmetz johns
Fri Apr 18 14:54:53 PDT 2003

Thank you for these comments, Jerry. I think you're bringing up
important points.

I think it needs to be emphasized over and over again that Squeak is
a research system. It is not a completed product, but a work in
progress, and that causes ome of the frustrations teachers and other
novices experience. Perhaps more could be done on the Squeakland site
to make this clear.

Any programming environment provides challenges to non-expert users,
and expert help is often needed. In my opinion many who promote
computers as tools for learning say too little about the amount of
support teachers and students need in order to get good results.

I'm sure most people on this list are excited about the promise of
Squeak--many kinds of promises, really. It's astounding that Squeak
has come so far, and that has a lot to do with people helping one
another. Clearly, to get to the next stage, with ordinary users and
ordinary teachers being able to use Squeak, much more needs to
happen. The book by BJ Conn and Kim Rose is one step in that
direction. But you are right to remind us not to confuse
possibilities and promises with what is really doable now. While
working to make some of these possibilites real, the Squeak community
needs to try to stay clear about what's not real yet.

One other thought: Squeak is interesting not just because it makes
certain things easy, but also because it is rich and complex. Rich,
complex things (music, sports, math, art, etc.) are often difficult,
often need very good helpers to be present, and sometimes need a huge
amount of infrastructure. For instance, I am a musician today only
because my school had a very good music teacher and a pile of
instruments made by expert craftspeople and music manufactured by
expert composers and publishers--and my parents got me lessons with
still another expert, and I was able to play in youth orchestras with
more expertise at hand. Even with all this help and encouragement,
and even in such a supportive context, it took many years for me to
get any good at all. Most of the helpers were able to provide very
satisfying projects at every stage--even students who did not become
professional musicians were able to have a good time participating.

Probably very few schools can offer the kind of infrastructure for
computer learning that my school music program offered. Yet I think
computers need the same kind of multilayered help and expertise, and
a supportive context of enthusiasm and encouragement for the activity.

Maybe we need to lose the idea that doing interesting and valuable
things on the computer can happen in isolation. One of the
constantly-reinforced fantasies about computers is that they will
make good things happen all on their own. It's an attractive notion,
but it's a fantasy. If good things are to happen, people will be
required.

	John Steinmetz
	Squeak enthusiast
	bassoonist, composer