Could Elementary students use this?

Christel Smith christel.smith
Fri Apr 18 14:54:55 PDT 2003

squeakland at squeakland.org writes:
>Squeak could be an ideal introduction to programing for young
>people - better even than Logo (which I've also tried). Once I feel I'm
>sufficiently up to speed with Squeak to demonstrate it, I'll try to gain
>some interest in the school where I work. ( I don't hold out much hope
>though, as the "What could _you_ - a mere technician - say to _me_ - a
>Teacher, that could possibly be of interest?" syndrome is rife in  the
>trade!)

Hi Gentleman,
    I am a teacher trying to get other teachers to use technology so that
students think. Beyond the PowerPoint mentality... While I was looking
through a weblog (which I think is interesting), I found your site.
Before I run around extolling the virtues of this I will have to do
another great learning curve and try and figure out how to do it so that I
can make it accessible for teachers who generally don't have time to play
with technology.  Any suggestions?  Would the books recommended be good
for someone without any programming concepts?
    Our techs are very busy people who keep our entire system running.
Sometimes our clashes happen because they want things logical, and easy
for them to maintain.  Classrooms are complex places and what seems
expedient to a person not dealing with kids makes things tough for
teachers.  I am interested in what you are doing Jim, but I would like to
try it at a lower level as well.  Let me know what you are up to.  Maybe I
can connect you up to an interested high school person here.

Christel  Smith

When one teaches, two learn.
Robert Half