New updates available on Squeakland

Michael Rueger m.rueger
Fri Apr 18 14:54:56 PDT 2003

Hi all,

there are new updates available on Squeakland.

To load updates, just load any of the projects on the squeakland.org.
The smallest possible one is
http://squeakland.org/project.jsp?/projects/EToy-Template.001.pr

You will then be prompted to update.

The installers have not been updated yet, so you need to update your
plugin after the installation.

After your system has loaded these new updates, you'll find:

1) "Strings" (or phrases) of tiles can be grabbed by *either* the first
or second tile in the string.  Prior to this update, if you wanted to
add "sketch's x" or "sketche's heading" to a script, you would have had
to select those tiles by the "x" tile, or the "heading" tile.  Now, you
can select the tiles by the "sketch" tile, or if you have named your
object, the name of that object, to add  to your script.

2)  We've created a new "v" button and added it to the top an object's
viewer. Clicking this button will allow you to create a variable. This
option was previously found in the tiny menu beside the object's name in
the viewer.  Also note, we have changed the vocabulary from "add a new
instance variable" to "name for new variable". Once the variable has
been created the it will appear in a "variables category" in the
object's viewer.

3) We've chosen to have a single option for obtaining the paint tools.
To obtain paint tools, click the paintbrush button on the gold Navigator
bar. We have removed the paint palette icon previously found in the
Supplies flap.

4) We've added a "trail style" option to the "pen use" category in an
object's viewer.  Trail styles include lines, arrowheads, and lines and
arrowheads.    Setting an object's penDown to "true" and selecting a
"trail style" allows for the pen to be a simple line, arrowheads, or
lines with arrowheads.

5) Misc fixes:
- When the user renames a script, script-firing buttons will now
automatically be relabeled, unless they have already manually been
edited, and will be fixed up so that they properly fire the renamed script.
- When the user asks to remove an instance variable, a check is now made
to see if any scripts belonging to the object currently use that
variable -- if so, permission to remove the variable is denied.  If not,
a further check is made to see if there are any extant scripts in
*other* objects that may reference that instance variable, and if any
are found, a warning is put up.

Michael