Remembering Philip Kniat

vinton g. cerf vinton.g.cerf
Fri Apr 18 14:55:00 PDT 2003

Sheine, thank you for letting us know about this sad news. Philip was only 13 -

vint

from the news report:

Crash takes life of Don Mills student

ANDREW PALAMARCHUK <javascript:document.authorform.submit()>More from this author
Apr. 2, 2003

A trauma team consisting of psychologists and social workers has been deployed to Don Mills Middle School to help children cope with the death of a fellow student.

Philip Kniat, 13, died in hospital after he was struck by a car in front of the school last week.

Police said the boy was hit by a northbound 1991 Honda Civic while crossing The Donway East around 12:35 p.m. March 25.

Kniat was rushed to Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre where he underwent emergency surgery. The boy succumbed to his injuries at about noon on Friday. A funeral will be held this Friday.

"It's a very painful tragedy," said trustee Shelley Carroll (Don Valley East).

"My heart absolutely goes out to the family of this boy," she said. "I know they would want us to do whatever we can so such an accident never happens again. We will proceed along those lines."

Police still want to speak to witnesses to the crash.

Anyone with information is asked to call Traffic Services at 416-808-1900.

At 09:19 AM 4/5/2003 -0500, Mankovsky, Sheine wrote:
>Sebastian Hergott at Don Mills Middle School recently made this sad
>announcement to the members of our Toronto District School Board Squeak
>forum:
>
>...to those who do not already know, one of our classmates, our expert
>Squeaker, Philip Kniat, passed away March 28, 2003. Philip was hit by a car
>in front of our school three days earlier.
>
>Philip was smart, insightful, really understood Squeak and worked well with
>others to explore it's uses. He was a member of the Pioneer group that first
>explored Squeak. He took leadership in presenting it to our class.
>
>Philip was also the key force in the Colour Communication project that used
>"random" and "colour sees" concepts to create Squeak art. The file is
>attached.
>
>Squeakland and the world at large have lost a great thinker, a great person
>and a great friend.
>Rest in peace Philip.
>
>Philip wasn't with us physically for very long.  Each person who embarks on
>the Squeak adventure is changing the world, defining the future. In the
>short time that he was with us, Philip managed to change the world.  His
>memory will continue to inspire all of us.  Please bring Philip into your
>thoughts for just a moment.
>
>Sheine Mankovsky

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology