"All the Real Math To Which School (Including College) Refused Yo u Access."

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg
Mon May 5 08:53:39 PDT 2003

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> > If we use a protractor to tilt the inclined plane (say) every 5? then
> > we can write down the different forces down the plane. If we divide
> > these numbers by the maximum weight when the angle is 90, we will get
> > numbers between 0 and 1. These numbers can be put into a holder as a
> > table of values and used in a wide variety of projects, including
> > making a roller coaster. So there is no need to use the idea of "sine"
> > -- and this makes projects that need these ratios -- like roller
> > coasters -- much more in the range of 5-7th graders.
>
> What do you think of measuring the forces in the Etoy itself (for
> example, by taking the vertical extent of a rotated line)? Of course, I
> can see the value of using real-world data. Do you think it's too large
> a step to "see" the height of the angle, which is proportional to the
> force?

I think it would be nice to have a playground that had gravity "turned
on",
so all the stuff put in it would act acording.

Then you could "view" object and it would tell you the forces.

Karl