[Squeakland] Logo vs. Squeak

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sat Aug 9 08:29:39 PDT 2003

Hi Ken --

There are definitely a lot of good ideas in ToonTalk -- and, as you
know, I've been interested in various kinds of iconic programming for
many years. I think some nifty combination of iconic and symbolic
elements (yet to be discovered) will indeed be part of a much better
authoring system for all.

Your knot example is a good one, but so is the fact that you used
English to state your case below. I think you would agree that a
combination of English and pictures and actual manipulatives would be
even better, just as quite a bit of math is difficult to express only
in pictures, though pictures and manipulatives are a great way to
start off.

Cheers,

Alan