[Squeakland] Logo vs. Squeak

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 14 08:44:25 PDT 2003

HI Mikael --

Thank you very much for your email. I have several somewhat
overlapping reactions to this.

First, I think it's great, and is a great approach in general --
especially for early learning stages and for explanations. The idea
of using a comic book style has come up several times over the years,
but we've never pursued it -- and it's terrific to see what you've
done so far.

Second, my larger opinion about this is pretty similar to my larger
opinion about the place and relationship of comics to more text-based
writing. On the one hand, I think comics are an art form all of their
own, and they can have quite a bit of evocative power. On the other
hand, I think there is something special and unique about
"disembodied text" and what is required to read it and produce one's
own internal realizations of the ideas. So I'm always very interested
in helping children learn the harder stuff because I think quite a
bit of it is really good for them.

In the world of programming, we have more than one kind of goal for
the endusers, and this definitely influences the kind of designs we
put before them. Two of the most important partially overlapping
goals are (a) as a productivity tool, and (b) as a tool to shape the
learner's mind.

For (a) we would generally try to maximize quick success in a
project, often by putting in lots of built-in functionality that can
be hooked together to make the end result. For (b) say, for math
learning, we might rather want to have fewer and more primitive
building blocks and try to motivate harder, more difficult work and
play from the learner because our main goal is not just getting a
project done, but to effect a real and often qualitative change in
the learner's mind.

These two areas overlap a bit, because a lot of the motivation in
both areas for the enduser is "reasonable success for reasonable
effort" -- so it would be ridiculous to make (b) painful, or to have
stupid gratuitous difficulties that have nothing to do with the
learning we're hoping for. But I do think that a lot of making a good
(b) is about "finding good difficulties" whose surmounting will help
the learner and motivating the learner to surmount them. And, in the
end, the productivity tool approach in (a) starts to fall down
because it is very difficult to provide all the plugin features (and
very little deeper learning is happening while the features do cover
the space).

An interesting example for me is Photoshop. It has a zillion features
and is very useful. But, the user never learns anything about image
filtering and is simply blocked if the filter they want isn't there.
Mitchel Resnick and his group at MIT are doing a system for teenagers
in Squeak (called Scratch) that tries to bridge this gap by e.g.
combining the use of filters and the learning of the "computer math"
of filters (by making their own filters from the start) as the kids
make projects. In other words, the idea here is to keep the children
"in the conversation" of the tools they are learning, not to "help
them to death" by providing opaque features. This seems very good and
important to me, and is an important part of how real computer
literacy will eventually be learned.

These transitions are part of the ongoing conversations about how to
help learners move from one comfort zone to a further higher level of
sophistication. The relation of picture books for the very young to
comic books and other picture and text books to mostly text books is
a possible model to look at. The relation of your work to "computer
math" seems quite important to me because, at least right now, the
target for most children is a visual scene and objects that are
usually manipulated kinesthetically. A lot of the power of the model
is in symbology of one kind or another, and it is also helpful to
have comments and other expressions in one's native language. This
begs for a little more form and organization. I'm very interested to
see what the next stage of these ideas will be.

Cheers,

Alan