[Squeakland] Not ready for prime time?

Greg Brunet gbrunet at sempersoft.com
Mon Aug 18 17:40:02 PDT 2003

I recently found the squeakland site and thought it would be neat to let
my kids try it out.  Unfortunately, when I went into the tutorials, I
ran into problems on the background and the first (painting) tutorial.
I'm wondering if there is a known problem running the Squeak plug-in on
IE6 on Win XP, or perhaps the tutorials aren't quite ready.

In the case of the background, the right edge of the text is cut off
(I'd guess about 3-5 characters worth) making it hard to read the
article.  Also, if I left click on the text, then use the mouse scroll
wheel (expecting to scroll down in the text), the pictures jump from the
right to the left side, covering the text.

In the case of the painting etoy, after escaping the browser and
clicking on the paintbrush icon as directed on page 1, a transparent
skin covers the entire screen, not just the working area.  If I try to
click on the 'page' buttons, I end up painting on them instead.  I can
only get rid of the skin by choosing 'keep' on the palette.  I can't
follow the rest of the tutorial, because the paint operation isn't
staying within the workarea.

Is this something that should be working?  Thanks,

--
Greg