[Squeakland] "Powerful Ideas Book" now available!

Daniel Vareika dvareika at redfacil.com.uy
Wed Aug 27 19:42:22 PDT 2003

Dear Kim,

Thank you for your precise and concise reply, but most of all for your
dedication and heart. You did quite answer every question I had in my head,
even those I did not fulfill to transmit clearly enough.

I never thought that the Squeak from squeak.org was any different from that
of squeakland.org. I will have a look at that, since every time I have
downloaded, it was from the first.

Regarding the Spanish version, I will have a look at it the moment I find
some time. Unluckily, I don´t have much spare time, and the little I have
left, I feel it is more important to BE with my child than to "work" for
him.
Still I believe I should find the time, at least to "play" with Squeak and
be able to transmit something to him.

Regarding a multilingual Squeak I am not sure what to say. On one side I
believe that translating menus and dialog boxes are a good thing. Still I
have seen many translations that to be keen: are lousy. Happened with some
versions of Photoshop (one that I recall) and also did have the same
experience with Archicad.

I don´t think this is due to both companies which make wonderful products,
but to the fact that sometimes the person that is translating should know
about the software and the technology that he or she is dealing with, so as
not to do a "linguistic" translation.

On the other hand, in Spanish, depending from where someone is, there are
many expressions that are more local than international, and to make matters
worse, I have found that, to say the same thing in English and in Spanish,
in English it takes most of the time (95% roughly) less (much less) letters
than in Spanish.
This ends up meaning, smaller menus, easier to read and understand, and
finally to convey the message. I would say it ends up having a better user
interface, which I cater the most.

Although I love my mother tongue, I see specially in English this inner
beauty regarding software. I am not completely sure, but the English
language has fewer words than Spanish (only a fact).

On the other hand, a written verbose computer language by itself, I am not
so sure if it is a good thing to translate and have many incarnations or
flavors for that matter.
A good case has been applescript that if I am not wrong could have had
different incarnations (flavours) of the computer language but never did (at
least in Spanish).

Besides all technical material ends up appearing first in English (even
though the author might have another mother tongue)  and only then in other
languages only to show that the info probably would be outdated.

This was the reason I put in my previous e-mail the part of music as opposed
to a verbose language.

Yours,

Daniel