Tutorials.

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at paradise.net.nz
Thu Feb 6 12:46:42 PST 2003

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:13, Benjamin Kunst wrote:

> When I first found squeakland, I had the idea, that this could be very
> useful in two ways: - Intuitive creating projects focused on interactive
> learning, from first writing to speech support of handicapped pupils (my
> wife teaches in such a school) - Guided introduction in programming
> environments for children
>
> Does anybody share my problems?
> And much more important, has anybody an idea how get further?

Yes, I share your problems. As I see it, Smalltalk was conceived and written
by a real genius thinking completely out of the square. ( That's a
compliment! ) This makes is very hard for mere mortals who are used to the
more usual methods of program preparation to get the hang of it. The other
trouble is that so far all the books I have seen have been written by and for
the real cognoscenti, all of whom have had 20 or more years to learn the
unwritten lore. Catching up on those 20 years learning literally thousands of
APIs is real hard.

What to do:-

As well as the Squeak swiki there are other implementations of Smalltalk which
have good tutorials built in to them. Claus Gittenger's Smalltalk/X has a
particularly good one, but do remember that the reason for Smalltalk/X's
existence is completely different form Squeak's. So the functions offered are
very different, but the fundamental language structure is exactly the same.

http://www.exept.de/index.html

Go there, select your language of choice, and the "links" link near the bottom
of the lh frame will take you on to all ( afaik ) the major Smalltalk
implementations.

There is also pretty good Smalltalk tutorial originally available from IBM:-

http://www.cs.ucf.edu/courses/cop4331/hughes/Summer1998/Tutorials/Smalltalk/

HTH

--
Sincerely etc.,