Flatlanders and The Planiverse

Sebastian Hergott sebastian.hergott at tel.tdsb.on.ca
Tue Feb 25 00:37:45 PST 2003

In terms of eToys in SqueakLAND, has anyone read this book? thoughts?

The Planiverse. Computer Contact with a Two-Dimensional World
Author(s):	A. K. Dewdney
Publisher:	Springer
ISBN: 	0387989161
Format:	softback
 	245pp
Price:	£15.00, $22.00
Review Date:	March 23, 2001
Review:	This book, first published 16 years ago, follows in the genre of Edward Abbot's nineteenth century classic Flatland. The story is written in the style of an academic - in the computer lab of a large university a group of students and their
professor are working on mainframe, modelling an imaginary two-dimensional world. Suddenly one student notices that the world that they are building with their graphics program is inhabited! They are soon entranced by a universe in which astonishing tiny
creatures, 2-D Ardeans, exist solely on an x-y plane. This mental puzzle invites the reader to imagine how a two-dimensional world might work.. An appendix includes readers' contributions made to Scientific American , following an article about the 2-D
universe, from the viewpoints of physics, chemistry, planetary science, biology, astronomy and technology.

Source: http://www.booknews.co.uk/Books/1806.htm

The more I discuss Squeak with folks, the richer I become. Thanks to C. Matthews for this.

Sebastian Hergott
Teacher/Intermediate Program Coordinator - CyberARTS
Arts and Information Technology Convener
ASA (Academic Services Associate)
Don Mills Middle School, tel. 395-2320
17 The Donway East, Don Mills, Ontario, M3C 1X6, Canada
sebastian.hergott at tel.tdsb.on.ca