Flatlanders and The Planiverse

Darius Clarke darius at inglang.com
Tue Feb 25 09:58:20 PST 2003

Sebastian,

I read "The Planiverse" when I attended university (UC Irvine)… had found it in
our university library.

"The Planiverse" is well written and thought provoking. It’s a morality play as
well as a treatise about how physics, biology, & society could work when one of
our most common assumptions (a third dimension) is removed. His premises and
explanations are smoothly woven into the narrative. The narrative maintains a
good dose of humor.

The book’s best use is to teach how one can extrapolate many interrelated
implications from an unfamiliar set of rules in a closed system. I’d say that
the target age group for such reasoning would not be any younger than 14 years
old.

Some major points in the book:

•	Just as miracles in our world could be explained by a multi-dimensional
intelligence manipulating multi-dimensional objects through a three-dimensional
world; so to, three-dimensional people like us, if we could interact with a
two-dimensional world, could appear to perform miracles in that world.

•	The seeming omnipotent power of such control could lead to moral dilemmas.

•	The time needed for a physical change (chemical, perception, information)
is a function of surface area, which is *drastically* reduced in a two
dimensional world. Consequently a 2D object requires a vastly larger size to
increase its surface area to the point where meaningful interactions can take
place.

•	Even with the increased size, the number of parallel events that can occur
in 2D is restricted. Most interactions must be performed in a linear time
sequence.

"In terms of eToys in Squeakland":

•	eToys & Morphs are layered 2D objects which imply: 1) a (very limited)
third-dimension, and 2) The 2D objects are observed by someone positioned
orthogonal to the 2D objects so that their inside contents can be perceived
(like papers on a desktop, surprise, surprise). [I’m still looking for a tool
that fulfills the paperweight metaphor for my desktop metaphor. ;-) ]

•	One could simulate the "Planiverse" in eToys but most of the functionality
of the Morphs would not help. A new set of rules and a new set of 2D "physics"
would need to be created by hand. This would need to include the dynamic
distortion of a 2D object’s shape per the influences on it. Many changes in
shape are required to replace what equates to the change of position in a 3D
world.

•	"Planiverse" requires gravity while Abbot's "Flatland" resembles a world
seen in a microscope slide. "Flatland" might be easier to simulate in eToys. In
"Planiverse" gravity must replace structure for holding most 2D objects
together.

Cheers,

Darius