Etoy issues

John Steinmetz johns at cloud80.net
Wed Jan 8 10:51:04 PST 2003

In order to get an etoy to do something, you have to put a script
together. You do this by assembling script components (the tiles),
not by writing text. One of the central ideas is to make it very easy
to create etoys, but another central idea is to encourage thought and
learning--etoy builders have to consider how to make the etoy do what
they want it to do, and adjust the instructions until they work.

Some very simple etoys don't require creating a script at all. You
can, for instance, create an object by drawing, and then affect its
behavior and appearance by modifying the values in its viewer. For
instance, you can change its color or change its size, or start it
rotating and change the speed of rotation. All this can be done
without creating a script. In effect, the viewer is an
automatically-created script that shows the default state of the
object. One way to start new users s to create simple etoys for them
to play with by modifying values in the viewer. (You can even drag
some of the numbers out onto the screen so users can change numbers
and see what happens without even opening a viewer.)

I hope that helps a bit!

	John Steinmetz