etoy issues/making games and mazes

Kim Rose Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org
Wed Jan 22 10:23:51 PST 2003

--
Hi,

In repsonse to recent email queries about making mazes/and creating
scripts with feedback, I direct you to the "project swiki" that is
part of the Squeakland site:

http://www.squeakland.org:8080/super/gallery

If you specifically check out the "Robot car in Maze" and "Sensor
Car" projects you can see by using a conditional/test tile and the
"color sees" tiles you can make a simple feedback script by just
using "forward by" and "turn by" tiles.

What's great in this kind of project is the kids need to think about
the direction of their object's heading and if the object needs to
turn left or right to keep on the course and therefore they need to
think about using positive or negative numbers.  This is very simple
and does not even require thinking about x or y coordinates.  (We
introduce that later.)  The kids LOVE making all kinds of variations
of mazes and games.

By the way, *any* of you can and are welcome to publish/post your
examples to this Project Gallery/Swiki.   To do this, hold down the
"Publish" button on the gold navigator bar and select, "Publish to
another server".  After you have named the project you wish to share,
you'll get a directory in a blue window.  Selecting "Squeakland BSS"
will publish your project to this page on the Squeakland site.   We'd
love to see more examples here!

I hope these examples help!
have fun,
Kim