A couple of questions around Squeak

Amela Sadagic amela at advanced.org
Thu Jan 23 16:53:47 PST 2003

Hi everyone,

I am new in the group and I may be asking something that you already
discussed in this forum. I apologize if I will be repeating it.

1.   Did any of you study (even on a small sample) the difference
between the projects that had the following emphasis: "creating to
learn myself" versus "creating to teach someone else". If you did what
was your experience? Did you use Squeak or some other tool?  If you
used Squeak for this purpose what was the quality of the
material/project produced and how was it accepted by the "users" of
such Squeak lessons?

2. Was the production value of Squeak projects something that your
students commented and if they did what were their comments? Was it
ever relevant for the learning goals that you have set? (here I have in
mind comparison between the production value of best web sites and 3D
games, and Squeak projects)

3. Did you have a chance to follow up on your students who used Squeak
in your classes - do they continue using it in other classes? At home?
After they leave your classes and move to the higher grades?

4. Have you noticed any difference between the ways Squeak is used by
girls and by boys (themes selected, scripting styles, level of
details...)?

5. What is the latest set of file formats that are supported (i.e.
could be imported) in Squeak project? Does it support all file formats
as an average web browser?

Many thanks for your comments in advance!

best,
Amela

Dr. Amela Sadagic					amela at advanced.org
Director of EFL Programs			ph:  914 765 1114
Advanced Network & Services		fax: 914 765 1115
200 Business Park Drive
Armonk, NY 10504
project page: www.futureoflearning.org
personal page: www.advanced.org/~amela