[Squeakland] Squeak 'non-starter' in U.K. schools?

Jim Ford jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 11:55:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm a science technician in a U.K. Independant (non-State) Secondary School.
I've had experience of several programming languages (including Logo) and
when I came accross Squeak became a convert to the concept of it being an
excellent learning tool - not only for children, but adults as well.

I've tried introducing Squeak to science teachers, but encountered the
problem that I've come across with other ideas I've had, which is: if it's
not in 'The National Curriculum', it won't get taught. As has been mentioned
many times in the U.K. national papers, our schools are so focused on
gaining good published examination results - the so-called 'League Tables' -
(in spite of the protestations of some Head Teachers), that _nothing_
outside 'The Curriculum' has the remotest chance of being taught. The
pressure on teaching staff to 'Deliver the Curriculum' is such that whilst
they may show interest in Squeak, there is not the tiniest slot in the
teaching day for it to be introduced.

I believe that as long as the U.K. education system remains tied to the
stultifying influence of examination orientated 'League Tables', innovative
ideas such as Squeak will never be introduced, unless (as is _most_ unlikely)
as officially part of the National Curriculum.

I would be interested in comments on the above from those involved in the
U.K. education system!

Regards: Jim Ford

--
Spam poison - don't use! ---> botulin at watford53.freeserve.co.uk <---