[Squeakland] Squeak 'non-starter' in U.K. schools?

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 8 00:57:40 PDT 2003

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:55, Jim Ford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a science technician in a U.K. Independant (non-State) Secondary
> School. I've had experience of several programming languages (including
> Logo) and when I came accross Squeak became a convert to the concept of it
> being an excellent learning tool - not only for children, but adults as
> well.

We all saw that with the pendulum project on the list a few weeks ago.

> I've tried introducing Squeak to science teachers, but encountered the
> problem that I've come across with other ideas I've had, which is: if it's
> not in 'The National Curriculum', it won't get taught.
So, be a bit devious, tell the pupils, don't tell the teachers. The pupils
will keep your secret. When the teachers finally see their pupils absolutely
fascinated by something, they'll - the teachers - take notice.

I've got stuck on a project which _is_ in that blessed "National Curriculum",
I'm sure. The mechanics of a see-saw, i.e. rotational moments. I'm absolutely
sure I 'did' that when I was at a "U.K. Independant (non-State) Secondary
School" many years ago. Here is the beginnings of the project, but I can't
work out how to keep the centres of rotation of the two weights positionally
the same as the top of the fulcrum, as I move the weights along the see-saw
line. It would be nice if somebody else could let me in on the secret, or
indeed finish the project.

http://squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://berty.dyndns.org/SeeSaw.001.pr

If folks want to link to it please could they mirror it too. My ISP has cut
the outgoing traffic rate to a tiny trickle, so please be patient.

How about a comment or documentation tile to go in the scripts?
Is this possible?

--
C. S.