[Squeakland] Squeak 'non-starter' in U.K. schools?

Mankovsky, Sheine sheine.mankovsky2 at tdsb.on.ca
Mon Jul 7 23:56:39 PDT 2003

Jim, you expressed some important concerns about the direction that public
education is taking in the UK.  I  have been witnessing similar stuff in the
last five or so years, when I've been really paying attention, in my own
community and in Canada generally.  I decided to do what I can for as long
as I can.  For me the present is just a place holder for the future.  So, if
I get only part way, maybe others, or even one other will continue along the
route.  In other words, that I don't reach my destination, doesn't mean I
don't travel.   I believe you mentioned in an earlier note that you were
carrying on lunch hour sessions, or intended to start them, at your school.
That would be very helpful for changing things in the U.K. eventually.  The
power of one can be very strong indeed.   In fact, there may not be another
like you in the entire UK.  That would make you not wrong, but unique:)

Your comments were thought provoking as well, Alan.  I'll just add my
thoughts on the bookstores/libraries as learning locations.  Sure there is
learning available in bookstores and libraries, in fact everywhere.
However, if I were asked for my preference, I would advocate for libraries
because of my individual value system, and on what it is based.  I don't
remember my parents buying me a single book when I was a child.  Not one.
However, I started going to the public library with my Dad from the age of
three.  He sat at a table and read books in Yiddish, and I sat in a chair
and read English magazines. Or maybe I thought I was reading...  It was a
community supported public Jewish library.  He had brought the value of
using a library for learning from Poland where there were similar places in
the town where he lived.  When I was five I raced to the neighbourhood
library a few blocks from my home to get a card and borrow my own books.  I
still recall the excitement, and then the disappointment when the librarian
informed me that the rule was that I would have to keep the books overnight
before coming back for more.  My point is there is a value statement in
supporting a library rather than a bookstore, or a bookstore rather than a
library.  I was surprised that your reading list is a bookstore rather than
a libarary because I thought you were a strong advocate of public access to
books via local public libraries.  I'd be interested in hearing more on how
you came to deciding on that approach.

Sheine