[Squeakland] Developing a CAD system based on Squeak and Croquet

MarkSundberg Architect at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jul 8 13:31:02 PDT 2003

Aloha Any and All,

I am not sure if this is the correct venue for this inquiry, but here
goes. If not, maybe someone can direct me to a better one.

I am an architect deeply enmeshed in CAD work particularly 3D modeling
and using 3D models directly in documentation of work. The process is
somewhat analogous to building a scale model (the scale being 1:1) and
then taking pictures of that model, carefully selecting the viewpoints
to match the traditional orthagonal views, then overlaying the pictures
with notations as to materials, assemblies and dimensions. I have been
working on the notion of a digital design suite that runs from a fully
interactive 3D environment accessible collaboratively over the internet
or some other network, through a fully effective 3D modeling system to
documentation in the field with interactive side branches to various
engineering disciplines and beyond to facilities management post
construction including perhaps full interface with the facility users. A
good example of this would be a museum or cultural center, the concept
is discussed interactively over the network, with the site fully modeled
in walk around 3d, including views from the site, maybe even active
views from web cams set up on the site, the designers would generate
model solutions for review and comment, refinements tried out while the
design models are analyzed by engineering programs, eventually a design
is selected and scanned for construction documents, perhaps just made
available to hand held computers in the field, upon completion of
construction, the model is used for facilities management and also
populated with the exhibits for review by students, researchers and
potential visitors who can also bring their handheld (or rent one at the
facility, downloading their personal tour) to assist with their visit.
Sort of like the vision in the Squeak Book for a Theme Park.

I was introduced to Croquet last Fall and because of that have gained an
interest in Squeak, which it seems will be the natural operating
environment for Croquet. I believe Croquet/Squeak will be capable of
realizing the above scenarios but there will need to be the various
methods and morphs, classes and so on specifically designed for that
purpose. I would like to work with someone more adept and knowledgeable
of Squeak/Croquet than I to develop these. I know what they have to do,
I just am not very clear on how to develop them. I see this could become
a primary means of public input to large scale development as well as a
wonderfully intuitive way to design one's own environments as well as
those of others. It could also become a great way to introduce the
public to the many facilities that abound, from museums and galleries,
to public facilities of any kind, to parks and monuments, even to cruise
ships and other mass transit. I see something akin to the vision in
Gibson's Virtual Light where there exists a cyber duplicate to the real
world, but with all the related data linked in.

So, if there is anyone out there that's interested in this idea, please
contact me.

Mark Sundberg, Architect