[Squeakland] Etoy: Saving, Publishing

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Jul 11 09:04:43 PDT 2003

Hi Nancy --

At 11:15 PM -0400 7/9/03, Nancy Head wrote:
>How do I save a squeak etoy project?
>
>How do I "Publish It!"? Can I place this in "my own" web space (i.e. my
>account on my isp's server)?

Yes you can, and there are a variety of ways this can be organized.
For example, in one of the LA schools we work in, the classroom has
quite a few computers but not nearly as many as there are children.
The children's projects are published to school servers and they can
bring them to whichever computer they are working on that day. The
basic idea is that you should be able to author, publish, and find
projects anywhere on the net with as close to a "one button" UI as
possible.

This also gives children something most adults wish they had, which
is a WYSIWYG full media authoring and publishing system for the web
that can do all from within or without a browser.

As Andreas mentioned, some care has been taken to protect projects
from being used as viruses. For example, they are encrypted when sent
outside the child's machine and signature protected against being
corrupted. Projects brought in from the outside can be run safely in
Squeak in part because they are confined as to the resource access
powers they have on the child's computer.

Cheers,

Alan