[Squeakland] Squeak 'non-starter' in [U.K.] schools?

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jul 12 09:22:32 PDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:49, Nancy Head wrote:
> Here are a couple of strategies that maybe we can use to get Squeak into
> more classrooms (including our own):

Here are a couple of ideas
Strategy #0
OK This idea is just a little bit off the wall, I know that, but what about
the idea of making a LiveCD which you just shove in the CD slot & (re)boot
the machine. For example like the Knoppix Linux distribution. Presto Squeak
running. No fuss with installation or downloading plugins only to have it
fail because it wont work with the browser for some reason or other. Seeing
as the distribution medium has the capacity of hundreds of megabytes, it can
be loaded up with a suitably tuned up version of the full Squeak environment
and virtually as many applications and projects as you wish, in much the same
way as the disk with the Guzdial & Rose blue book is loaded up. I know this
could be done with Linux as the underlying o/s, other systems could be used
I'm sure, but probably not for the same cost. However I have no idea how to
make said disk multi platform, or indeed if it's possible. Hardware gurus
might like to comment.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/news/

Strategy #0.5
Distribution of the disk.
Please don't jump down my gullet on this idea. Have a good laugh instead.
Get a consortium of a breakfast food manufacturer, a media giant, and a
computer company to sponsor a decent sized press run of the above CDs and get
them out into the general population via the Cocoa Pops, or whatever,
packets. The sponsors will get the warm fuzzies they need from knowing that
they have enhanced the knowledge base of the population as well as boosting
the sales of their products for far less money than the cost of a TV ad
campaign. CDs in bulk cost but a few cents, whereas TV ad campaigns cost
millions of dollars.

This company might, remotely, be interested in helping you with a pilot in a
small country. Dick Hubberd is a decent fellow who makes delicious breakfast
cerials

http://www.hubbards.co.nz/

Mailing Address
 Hubbard Foods