[Squeakland] summer learning

Kim Rose Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org
Sun Jul 13 02:58:04 PDT 2003

Hi, Andy -
We're having a "Squeakfest" at Columbia College, in Chicago..
here's the original post:  Please let Wade Roberts
(wroberts at colum.edu) and me know if you can join us.
cheers,
Kim

--
The Interactive Multimedia and Early Childhood Education Programs at
Columbia College Chicago and Viewpoints Research Institute invite you

SqueakFest03 will be Wednesday, August 6, to Friday, August 8 (two
full-day sessions on Wednesday and Thursday, and a morning session on
Friday). There is no registration fee.

Columbia has negotiated workshop rates at the adjacent Congress Hotel
of $109 per night (single and double occupancy). Continental
breakfasts and boxed lunches will be provided.

SqueakFest03 is also co-sponsored by Columbia's School of Media Arts
and School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, home, respectively, of the
Interactive Multimedia and Early Childhood Education Programs.

In addition to a workshop on using the Etoy component of Squeak, we
thought that it was time to try to assemble a critical mass of folks
to discuss best-practices and practical considerations. We hope that
attendees will arrive with examples and details of student projects,
lesson plans, assessment details, stories, anecdotes, pedagogical
approaches, and the like. What worked? What didn't work? Why? What
can we draw as conclusions, learn from, and do differently (or the
same) in the future. Most importantly: What can we learn from, and
teach, each other?

We welcome participants from elementary, junior high, and high
schools, and education programs at institutions of higher-education.

There will be plenty of time for attendees to break out into sessions
by subject areas and by grades.

There will also be time for educators to provide feedback on teaching
and using Squeak (features? interface? implementation?) to the
developers.

At the conclusion of SqueakFest03, the IM Program will post and serve
Squeak projects brought to or sent to the workshop.

Columbia College Chicago is the country's largest arts, media, and
communications school, with an enrollment approaching 10,000
students, and offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. At the
undergraduate level, it is open-admissions, by mission and
philosophy. It is located in Chicago's South Loop, adjacent to Grant
Park and Lake Michigan, and is convenient to the city's many museums
and other cultural and popular attractions.

Attendance will be limited. Reply with your interest to:
Kim Rose: Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org
AND
Wade Roberts: wroberts at colum.edu

Columbia College Chicago: http://www.colum.edu