[Squeakland] SqueakLand, Plugin and Internationalization projects

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Wed Jul 16 08:57:51 PDT 2003

Diego,

I wrote the answer and then it got stuck in my drafts folder. Sorry...
See below :-)

Michael

------

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:

> As some of you already know, we've started the Spanish “version” of
> SqueakLand.

Great!

> We're active working in translation of all the content produced by
> SqueakLand and related projects before going to the next step (creation of
> our own content in Spanish)
>
> We are looking for a way to run the projects (using the squeak plugin) in
> our image (basically one 3.5 translated to Spanish and some pre-installed
> packages like true type fonts).   By now we have a set of changesets that
> convert a “virgin” 3.5 image in the Small-Land image (see
> http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/13).  Now we're looking for a way to do
> the same with the plugin-image.
>
> Options I see:
>
> 1) Create our own installer of the plugin in Spanish including the changes
> we want into the image (Ned's connectors, true type font, bitstream fonts,
> remove of hard-coded fonts, Renewed look & feel, etc).
>
> 2) Stuck on a single plug in-image for all of us (English, German, Spanish
> and a lot of others just coming).  In this case we have to find a way to
> include (or to install on demand) the internationalization part in
> German/Spanish/AnyLanguage.
>
> What are the politics behind the plug in image? What other options do you
> see?

What politics? ;-)

I woud recommend the second approach so projects can still be shared
between different language versions. I've been thinking about an
international plugin image that could even switch language depending on
the browser language header tags :-)

Try to use the plugin development image and run your scripts to see if
you run into any problems.

Another thinng I'll look at as soon as I'm back from the Smalltalk
Solutions is to release a newer version of the plugin based on 3.6,
including TrueType etc.

Great work!

Michael