[Squeakland] SQUEAK research

Kim Rose Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org
Wed Jun 4 10:48:18 PDT 2003

Hello, Stephen -

Welcome to "Squeakland" -- and thanks for your queries.

To date, as far as I know, there have been no formal research papers
or studies made on the affect(s) on student learning using
Squeak/Etoy. I have been working with a variety of schools over the
last few years observing and helping and developing Squeak-based
curriculum where students might create Etoys to deepen their
understanding of a complex concept or problem.

BJ Conn, a 4th/5th grade teacher in Los Angeles, and I are just
finishing up a "project book for teachers" which will contain 12 Etoy
projects that build upon each other and explore ideas in math and
science. This book however will serve more for documentation and
content purposes more than addressing specifically how the student
creation of Etoy projects and models affect their learning and
understanding of these concepts and ideas.

The use of Etoys in classrooms, community centers and at home is
still in the early stage. Our community continues to grow and develop
both the tools and contexts in which to use the tools.  We invite you
to join us as we all continue to learn more.
cheers,
Kim