[Squeakland] questions about collaboration tools

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jun 17 16:46:29 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 06:33 am, John Voiklis wrote:
> While I have successfully used Nebraska (in cases where all users
> had static IPs), I would love some quick how-tos for each of the
> items under the collaborative heading in the Object Catalog, for
> instance with badges: how to deal with dynamic IPs and, less
> technically, how to add an image.

On the subject of dynamic IPs, you could either provide your own
nameserver services along with your DHCP server, or if you're using
Windows (or are on a network that has a WINS server) you can just use
the machine names.

I'm running a Samba server on my Linux box, and I've got it set up as
the WINS server. I can just refer to Windows machine names.

> Also, I remember Alan mentioning (in his talk at Teachers College)
> some kind of community server where Squeakers could register and
> find each other; it would be great to bypass the IP issue and to
> find and connect through usernames. Is such a sever currently in
> the works, or part of a long range plan. I am sure one the hardest
> parts is figuring out how to handle privacy and make sure that
> registrants have not misrepresented themselves or their motives.

Their Croquet work includes a collaboration architecture that will
allow this, and will deal with security and privacy.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com