A good book on Squeak?

Kim Rose Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org
Fri Mar 21 14:39:02 PST 2003

Hi, Jim -

Now, *there's* a question!   Depends on where you are "coming from".
I'll point you to what I know is "out there" and then let you be the
judge of whether any are "good books on Squeak".

If you have a background in computer science or engineering, etc. and
want a kind of "text book" -- based on an earlier version of Squeak
which would be downloaded from "squeak.org" you might try Mark
Guzdial's book on Squeak published by Prentice Hall in 2000.

Squeak:  Object Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications
see this amazon url:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130280283/qid=1048285977/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-7626248-0503005
Mark used this book at a text and intro to Squeak for his
first/second year C.S. students at Georgia Tech.

Mark and I coedited:
Squeak Open Personal computing and MutiMedia, also published by
Prentice Hall (and referenced on that same amazon.com page0
This book is more a "history" of how Squeak came to pass with
contributions from several of the open source contributors.  There
are chapters on porting Squeak, sound and music in Squeak, etc., etc.

There are other books listed on the amazon page as well.

If you are looking for a book which is based in the "etoy" component
of Squeak and geared toward a younger /less technical user group and
discusses the use of Squeak in a learning enviornment, then, I regret
to  say, "not yet".   There are a few groups/people working on such
books, but none (as far as I know) have been published yet...If all
goes well, there will be one such "project book for
teachers/curriculum guide" available late spring or early summer,
authored by 4th/5th grade teacher BJ Conn, and myself.

I hope this helps...
Tell us more about your interest and how you'd like to use (or are
using) Squeak.
cheers,
Kim