A good book on Squeak? (Martin Scott Goldberg <wgungfu@csd.uwm.edu>)

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Wed Mar 26 17:33:41 PST 2003

Original message bounced. Forwarding it, please make sure to use the
subscribed address for posting to this list. Or please join the list if
you haven't done so already.

------------------------

From: Martin Scott Goldberg <wgungfu at csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: A good book on Squeak?
To: squeakland at squeakland.org
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:42:22 -0600 (CST)

  >>Hi, Jim -
  >>
  >>Now, *there's* a question!   Depends on where you are "coming from".
  >>I'll point you to what I know is "out there" and then let you be the
  >>judge of whether any are "good books on Squeak".
  >>
  >>If you have a background in computer science or engineering, etc. and
  >>want a kind of "text book" -- based on an earlier version of Squeak
  >>which would be downloaded from "squeak.org" you might try Mark
  >>Guzdial's book on Squeak published by Prentice Hall in 2000.
  >>
  >>Squeak:  Object Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications
  >>see this amazon url:

 >>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130280283/qid=1048285977/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-7626248-0503005
  >>Mark used this book at a text and intro to Squeak for his
  >>first/second year C.S. students at Georgia Tech.

I have that book, and it's actually the one that introduced me to this
list.  Being in CS, it was in a format I prefer material to be
presented to me.  So you're right on the money with that comment.

  >>Mark and I coedited:
  >>Squeak Open Personal computing and MutiMedia, also published by
  >>Prentice Hall (and referenced on that same amazon.com page0
  >>This book is more a "history" of how Squeak came to pass with
  >>contributions from several of the open source contributors.  There
  >>are chapters on porting Squeak, sound and music in Squeak, etc., etc.
  >>
  >>There are other books listed on the amazon page as well.
  >>
  >>If you are looking for a book which is based in the "etoy" component
  >>of Squeak and geared toward a younger /less technical user group and
  >>discusses the use of Squeak in a learning enviornment, then, I regret
  >>to  say, "not yet".   There are a few groups/people working on such
  >>books, but none (as far as I know) have been published yet...If all
  >>goes well, there will be one such "project book for
  >>teachers/curriculum guide" available late spring or early summer,
  >>authored by 4th/5th grade teacher BJ Conn, and myself.

I would say there is one book out there geared towards a younger group,
though it's borderline on the "less technical".
Squeak: A Quick Trip To ObjectLand
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201731142/qid=1048293467/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-6216265-7276911?v=glance&s=books

I've read it and while it's not my taste, it uses a storybook type format
for presenting a good intro to programming with Squeak and OOP concepts.

  >>I hope this helps...
  >>Tell us more about your interest and how you'd like to use (or are
  >>using) Squeak.
  >>cheers,
  >>Kim

Look forward to seeing your book.