EToy French Translation

Scott Wallace scott.wallace
Mon May 5 08:53:37 PDT 2003

Messieurs,

This would be a hard change to make in the etoy system for languages
where the word order of the possessive is opposite to English,
because the order of the tiles themselves would have to be different
for it to read correctly, which would require significant structural
changes rather than simple wording substitutions.

We could handle localizing the possessive wording on the tiles
without much difficulty in languages where the pattern:

    <object-name> <possessive-token> <property-name>

is used for possessives, thus:

English:	John's x
German:		Johns x
Japanese:	John-no x

but we would need reversed tile order for:

French:		(l') x de John
Kiswahili:  	x ya John

So there would unfortunately seem to be no easy solution for these -- sorry!

But perhaps at least *removing* the "'s" suffixes for possessive
tiles in languages other than English would improve matters slightly,
e.g. "John x" rather than "John's x".

... not really French, but at least not English, and at least
somewhat language-neutral??   ;-)

Cheers,

    -- Scott