Pendulum

Bert Freudenberg bert
Mon May 5 08:53:39 PDT 2003

Am Mittwoch, 16.04.03 um 15:04 Uhr schrieb Phil Firsenbaum:

> I agree. I'm not interested in a frame by frame animation, because it
> wouldn't simulate the reality of a pendulum. I do want to avoid the
> trig but I'm not sure I see how I'd "weigh" the forces of gravity at
> different angles...hope I can figure it out.

I just had an idea and had to try it out (even though I actually have
no time for this ;-))

In a pendulum, the center of mass seeks to be straight below the fix
point. So if the center is right or left from that, a force
proportional to the (signed) distance between the center and the
fixation is exerted. And that's exactly what the attached project does.
There is no sine (well, implicitly only). Would be a nice addition to
plot this ...

-- Bert

PS: Does this warrant the addition of #center to the geometry category?