"All the Real Math To Which School (Including College) Refused Yo u Access."

John Voiklis voiklis
Mon May 5 08:53:39 PDT 2003

It is an imagined book; both one that I can imagine creating and one which
I often imagine that I need.  For example, I easily set up the 2nd order
differential equation and, with a bit more effort, recalled enough trig to
figure out and tinker with the pendulum example project, but "weighing"
the forces at different angles has kept me stumped for  the last couple
hours (playing with my children HAS pleasantly distracted me somwhat).

In my experience, limited understanding of real-world math and its
applicability across disciplines is what has prevented the effective use
of computing (especially as a means of modelling, manipulating, and
understanding real-world phenomenon) in schools and throughout the
culture.

BTW: The the pendulum project Alan sent out will open in the Squeak.org
version of Squeak. I have to go to work now, so I cannot look into the
incompatibility issue at this time; there are plenty of people on this
list who could debug it faster and more reliably than I.

Best,

John