"All the Real Math To Which School (Including College) Refused Yo u Access."

Kim Rose Kim.Rose
Mon May 5 08:53:39 PDT 2003

Hi, John -

This is *so true*, and part of what makes "our job" that much more
difficult.  We can try to educate today's children to be in a better
position to become teachers/mentors and adults tomorrow...but since
today's teachers (adults in general) are often "victims of *their*
education" they too remain mystified when it comes to ideas like
"vectors".  Many of today's adults never took a course in any
physcial science, or as Alan likes to point out were never taugh
mathematics, but only calculation.   So, this does make it rough as
you point out.

I will confess that *my* use of etoys and work in this area, has
*finally* brought understanding to *me* of a few math and science
concepts that remained "mysterious" until not so long ago.  The good
news with this experience is that I have personally seen how creating
physcial models in this way can bring real learning.
  -- Kim