"All the Real Math To Which School (Including College) Refused Yo u Access."

Alan Kay Alan.Kay
Mon May 5 08:53:39 PDT 2003

I think lots of insight can be gained by seeing what the "weighing
angles" illustration is all about.

Notice that when the angle is 90? the scale will measure the full
weight of the dumbell and wheels. When the angle is 0?, the scale
will show zero weight. In between, the scale will show the weight of
the dumbell and wheels in the direction down the inclined plane.
"Weight" is actually defined as the mass of an object times the force
of gravity on it ( w = mg ). So what we are seeing on the scale is
the differential effect of gravity down inclined planes at different
angles.

If we use a protractor to tilt the inclined plane (say) every 5? then
we can write down the different forces down the plane. If we divide
these numbers by the maximum weight when the angle is 90, we will get
numbers between 0 and 1. These numbers can be put into a holder as a
table of values and used in a wide variety of projects, including
making a roller coaster. So there is no need to use the idea of
"sine" -- and this makes projects that need these ratios -- like
roller coasters -- much more in the range of 5-7th graders.

Cheers,

Alan