Best supported platform for Squeak?

Mitchell, David [CC] David.Mitchell
Mon May 5 08:53:39 PDT 2003

The fact that Squeak is open source doesn't necessarily mean it is best
supported on an open source OS. Squeak was originally written for MacOS. The
Unix and Windows ports were/are largely the efforts of Ian Piumarta and
Andreas Raab, respectively.

I've been running Squeak since 1998 on various flavors of Windows, MacOS
8-X,  and a few Linuxes. Most of my Squeaking is done on Windows, because I
usually use Windows at work. I've had the least trouble with Squeak on
Windows, but that is probably mostly due to my familiarity with the
platform.

Of course, Squeak works marvelously in a blended environment. I went to the
first CampSmalltalk back in 2000 and we we regularly shared code and images
across platforms. Other platforms (handhelds, etc.) will run Squeak, but not
usually with all of the bells and whistles expected by a squeakland user.
(3D support and sound spring to mind).

-- David Mitchell
david.mitchell at mail.sprint.com

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jim Ford [mailto:jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk]
Sent:	Thu 4/17/2003 3:07 PM
To:	Squeakland
Subject:	Best supported platform for Squeak?
Hi,
I use Linux by choice, but still need WinME for Photoshop and others. I have
a twin 400MHz Celeron setup and whilst WinME only recognises one processor,
it still feels that it runs faster than under Linux with a SMP kernal that
recognises both processors.
I feel that Squeak, being open source, ought to be best supported under
Linux, but wonder if in fact this is not the case.
Comments, anyone?

Regards: Jim Ford