[Squeakland] Thank you to all who have gone before

Kim Rose kim.rose at viewpointsresearch.org
Sun Nov 9 07:37:32 PST 2003

Dear Marsha,

I want to thank you for taking the time and courage to write to us.
Your feedback is most important to those of us at Viewpoints
Research/"Squeak Central/Squeakland" and to your fellow teachers who
are also exploring Squeak and participating on this mailing list.
Without reports such as yours it is impossible for us to know what is
happening in classrooms, computing centers, etc. around the world.
We only have a vague sense of who is using Squeak, which is a strange
phenomenon given the way people can get Squeak off the web and then
use it quietly, or with more communication.

In case you don't know who I am, I have spent several years
developing and testing Squeak-based curriculum in classrooms -- most
of the "real time" has been spent in Los Angeles public schools.  I
have been working most closely with BJ Allen-Conn a 4th and 5th grade
teacher at the Open Charter School.  BJ and I have shared both the
pleasure and pain that you have experience.  The victories send you
home believing that our world has a positive future in the hands of
our children,  and the frustrations make you wonder if the time and
effort are worth it.  From my experience (I've been working in this
area with Alan Kay for 17 years now) it *is* worth it, but the kids'
tears are tough to take.  Thank goodness, this part is occassional.
(I tell myself the same frustrations occur to learners attempting to
learn a musical instrument or new language, however, the instrument
itself should not break!)

When this scenario happens to me, I remind myself that what I am
doing is *research* and forging new territory in creating new tools
for learning.  In the classrooms I've been involved in using Squeak
we have let the kids know that they are part of something new, an
experimental program and something that is not yet a "product".  When
the kids hear this and also learn that their reports, remarks,
feedback are taken to the designers, developers and engineers they
are generally entusiastic and delighted to participate in the
creation and change.   In the first years of the Etoy system's
development we would often make changes in user interface and
functionality based on teacher and student feedback.  When the
teachers/students saw those changes materialize a short time after
making the recommendation they felt a great reward and pride in
participating.

Here is some concrete info on how you can help....
What will help the developers greatly is if you, and others reading
this mail (which is why I chose to send my reply to the group and not
just Marsha) will do this:

When you have a problem, please let us know!  Unless people make
reports we believe things are going well.  Please don't continue to
be frustrated and feel alone.  Although we are geographically
separated, we can use this list and direct email to help,
troubleshoot. and hopefully solve the problem or change the system to
improve it.  Using this mailing list  can help identify colleagues in
your area.  Recently, a group of "New York City Squeakers"  decided
to meet face to face in a user group meeting.  This will get people
together to exchange and share project ideas, problems, victories and
defeats.

When reporting a problem, please let us know what computer platform
you are using -- there are so many possibilities today, it is
important for us to know and we are trying to make Squeak work on
each and every one but there are differences...if it is Windows or
Mac please let us know which version -- i.e., 2000, XP, home version,
or Mac OS 9.xx, OSX...OSX.??

Also if you have problems installing, it is important for us to know
which browser and browser version you are using.

Then, if you have a project which will not save or load or loads and
appears "broken" or different from the previous time you loaded it,
please send us mail and attach the project (the .pr file).   Look
into your "My Squeak" folder to see if there is a "Debug Log" file
with the time and date that you tried to save the project and send us
that text file as well.   This will give us specific information to
evaluate.  Withouth these specifics we are rather helpless.

Also, be sure you are using the latest version of Squeak and have it
fully updated. We just posted an announcement of new installers which
are now available via Squeakland.org.  To get this version you must
do a new installation of Squeak from our website. This install will
also give you a new "VM" (Virtual machine) which is needed to run the
application.  Then, it's always a good idea to check for updates now
and again.  (When we issue something significant we send mail to the
list but sometimes small updates are issued via the website).  To get
updates go to Squeakland.org and on the homepage you can "Get Squeak
Updates" from the "Download Squeak" button in the center of the page.

I am curious, Marsha, to learn more about you and your students --
where are you? What age students are you working with?

We want to support you as we have been with others who have been
courageous enough to try something new, and changing.  I hope you
will continue to use Squeak and to help us by creating new project
ideas, sending us feedback so that we might continue to change and
improve it, etc.   Last summer about 50 "Squeakers" gathered from
around the country and Canada for a 2 1/12 day "SquaekFest" in
Chicago.  This was successful for a number of reasons...to meet, to
share, to build community, etc.  We are planning a SqueakFest for
summer 2004...details will be coming.  I hope you might be able to
join us.

Thank you again for being part of this beginning (including the
growing pains).  We are encouraging the use of the system to gather
useful experiences (including bugs) and to provide
perspective-changing experiences for endusers like you.
Please continue to correspond with us, share ideas and problems and
be part of our great adventure.

regards,
Kim