[Squeakland] Computer as Tutor

Doug Wolfgram doug at gfx.com
Fri Apr 9 23:56:39 PDT 2004

I was recently introduced to Alfred Bork's papers on 'Computer as Tutor'
and am getting very interested in his work. He is professor emeritus at UCI
(U of Cal Irvine) and is starting a company to build large scale
educational systems spanning preschool through adult education.  I don't
want to misstate his goals here, but if anyone else has heard of his book,
'Blowing Learning to Bits', I'd love to hear about it.

I believe that Squeak is the perfect environment for having the 'Computer
as Tutor'. Are there ay specific papers on this subject, even if by another
name? Are any of you working on projects where you could stand back and say
"yes, we designed this because we saw the computer as the tutor?" I don't
believe that Dr. Bork wants to replace teachers in any way, he is just
focused on that 'additional' teacher in our lives, technology.

Cheers!

"If you're not in e-business ... you're not in business.."

Doug Wolfgram
GRAFX Group, Inc.
Cell: 949.433.3641
http://www.gfx.com