[Squeakland] Computer as Tutor [OFF TOPIC]

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Sun Apr 11 17:12:54 PDT 2004

I thought I'd offer a random sociological observation (as a random
observer of society).

On 11 Apr 2004, at 13:28, Gary Fisher wrote:

> I never said there was a "golden age of pastry chefs"
>
> From: "Mankovsky, Sheine" <Sheine.Mankovsky at tdsb.on.ca>
> Subject: RE: [Squeakland] Computer as Tutor
>
>> You remind me of something I once heard or read:);  the good
>> old days, the good old days--I was  there, where were they?  When
>> were your "good old days"--ten years ago, twenty?  Nostalgia?

>> Just asking some questions 'cause I don't claim to know a heck of a
>> lot.
>> Nor do I play a musical instrument...

There seems to be some evidence that each new generation somehow thinks
the previous generation "had it better" in some way.  Whether or not
this is true is probably entirely subjective.

For your amusement, to quote Frank Zappa (who did play a musical
instrument) from the liner notes of the 1968 album "Cruising with Ruben
& The Jets":

   "This is an album of greasy love songs & cretin simplicity.
   We made it because we really like this kind of music (just
   a bunch of old men with rock & roll clothes on sitting
   around the studio, mumbling about the good old days).  Ten
   years from now you'll be sitting around with your friends
   someplace doing the same thing if there's anything left
   to sit on."

:)

Ian