[Squeakland] Computer as Tutor

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sun Apr 11 09:05:11 PDT 2004

Hi Diego --

Then what does the phrase "book as <fill in the blank with a word
like tutor>" mean to you?

The *love* idea is really important (I loved my mentor Dave Evans),
but he didn't "tutor me", he "illuminated me" on how and why to be a
scientist in the service of humanity. Most of the "simple knowledge"
I've picked up has come from reading, thinking and doing by myself.

But, I would really agree that for most personality types, the
interest of other humans, especially adults, is one of the most
important motivators for putting in effort for learning. I was
already extremely interested in learning, and had been doing it for
my own reasons for many years by the time I got to grad school, but
still, having Dave be genuinely interested in me made a tremendous
difference, especially in loosening the amount of self-criticism I
was inflicting on my ideas.

So, I think the best environment involves people who really know and
care, and various kinds of tools. The miracle of the book is how well
it can work when one is not lucky to be around people who know and
care (and even when one is). This is in part because a good writer
can transmit more that just information, a lot of their basic
humanity and caring glows through their words (good examples are the
writings of Seymour Papert and Jerome Bruner which have affected
millions of people they have never met -- these are "good guys" with
"good ideas" and both shine through).

I still think that helping children to be fluent readers is the top
priority in education, both because of the change of access and who
can now do what, but also because of the change in how people think
that comes with fluent reading.

It has been known for some time what has to be done with a computer
screen to allow it to be as readable and portable as a book, and the
actual technology does exist today in labs. So we are within a few
years of having this next level of display be able to encompass all
previous paper works without loss of legibility. However, just as
there are tactile differences between vellum and paper that we've
lost since printing got cheaper and superceded writing by hand, there
will still be some tactile differences between books and the next
generations of personal knowledge machines. The ones that are
important will need to be dealt with.

But the most important thing is to discover what new special content
can be manifested because we have the new medium of the computer to
help us represent special ideas, and then to put forth this content
so that as many people in the world as possible can think their own
thoughts after "reading and doing" with it.

Cheers,

Alan

------