[Squeakland] Computer as Tutor

Mankovsky, Sheine Sheine.Mankovsky at tdsb.on.ca
Sat Apr 10 18:39:04 PDT 2004

I may be missing something.  Exactly when was this "Golden Age" of pastry
chefs, Gary?  You remind me of something I once heard or read:);  the good
old days, the good old days--I was  there, where were they?  When were your
"good old days"--ten years ago, twenty?  Nostalgia?  Culture?

Just asking some questions 'cause I don't claim to know a heck of a lot.
Nor do I play a musical instrument...

What does a learner need to learn?  Who says you need a human to support
learning.   How do you deal with the arrogance of "knowers", particularly
when they think that information is learning.  The music isn't in the piano.
The knowledge isn't in the book.  Learning isn't education.  And pedantry by
any other name is still pedantry.

Alan, your final comment is right on and to my mind, the l kernal of your
note.  I haven't returned to the e-car tutorial since a couple of tries
quite a while ago.....

Having said that, it's useful to unwrap notions about education/learning.
Perhaps the baggage needs to be identified for other good things to follow.
Furthermore, it's useful for people to share where they are coming from so
they can decide whether they want to continue in the same direction
together.

Sheine

P.S.  Doug, I'd be interested in your analysis of Bork's ideas, if you would
like to make that contribution.