[Squeakland] Monte-Carlo sim; plotting lots of pts; math fns

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Sat Aug 7 21:15:21 PDT 2004

I'm not even letting you Squeakers get home from Squeakfest before I ask
a question.  One of the Japanese gentlemen (I apologize for not catching
all of your names) demoed a circle area-finding Monte Carlo simulation.
Was this done using E-toys/Squeakland, or a different/special Squeak
image?  Is this project posted for download somewhere?

In general, I'd just like to see a project that interactively (i.e.,
display them after every Nth point) plots lots of points.

Extending this question - how would one plot lots of *colored* points,
where the script would determine the color (e.g., spectrum colormap for
y-value).

Also, did I understand correctly that E-toys/Squeak does not allow for
basic math functions?  I may be leaving the K-6 (or whatever) domain of
E-toys at this point.

Once again, *thank you* for a terrific conference/workshop.  You really
are a wonderful, fun community and I hope a few of us in Indiana will
get a chance to spread the word about and contribute to Squeak.  In
fact, I begin my vacation tomorrow and I plan to proudly wear my
Squeakfest t-shirt through the airports of America! :)  (Maybe you
should have put the squeakland URL on the t-shirt!)

Thanks, Randy