[Squeakland] spiral

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 7 06:13:29 PST 2004

Hi Randy --

Try first with circles and changing the angle and then the distance. Note
that the smaller the angle, the large the circle (the smaller the curvature
of the circle). The longer the distance traveled the larger the circle. You
will probably want to use the little menu in front of the property
"heading" to give it more decimal places. Make variables to hold the
changing quantities. Try:

forward by 5
turn by angle
angle decrease by 0.1

and see what happens.

This is a constant decrease of the angle.

Try

forward by distance
turn by 5
distance increase by 2

and see what happens. This is a constant increase distance.

Try accelleration in each of these examples and see what happens.

Then try a scheme in which the angle and the distance are both changed in
the same script.

This should provide some insight about spirals.

Cheers,

Alan

forward by 5