[Squeakland] Suggestions for pedagogical examples in Squeak?

RATZEL, MARSHA MRATZEL at bv229.k12.ks.us
Tue Feb 17 06:06:53 PST 2004

I have no idea if what I'm doing with my class is an answer to your question but I will offer it....we used it because it seemed like the next step and not all of our students (especially our girls wanted to do things like girls wanted to stay in the realm of cars).  Additionally Kansas has been buried under snow recently and our students have had many days off of school with snow days.  So my teacher partner and I chose the topic of WinterWonder Land.

In it, students had to construct a WinterWonderLand where there was a sledder, a shivering snowman, the blowing trees and other things that they had observed outside during their days off.  This was their first project in Squeak after the tutorials on the Squeakland site.  And it was quite challenging for them.  We had to keep emphasizing that it wasn't an art project, although it was OK to make things look as nice as possible.  And as always, I found myself in way over my head in terms of needing to know more about "how to make" objects take on characteristics than I knew how to do.  So the kids and I plugged away...just experimenting and sharing with each other during what I call carpet chats.  Everyday I open class with these carpet chats where we tell each other what we'd discovered the previous day because we sort of feel like lost explorers---the one for all and all for one like of thing, you know.

I've been accused over and over again in my district for doing Squeak that it is too difficult for teachers.  Not kids mind you.  But teachers.  My district administration is not supportive because they think it's too much to ask teachers to be lost and admit it to the kids and show our ignorance of being lost on a daily basis.  I don't know how much longer they'll let me keep teaching it to my 7th graders, but I'm going to continue for as long as possible.  I'm now working with the head of the math department on the sligh to create a summer workshop....it just seems to me that I understand enough that I could help them do some neat things when they teach the "Moving Straight Ahead" module of the Connected Math Program module.  This seems like a perfect language and integrated piece of technology for helping kids to "get" linear equations.  They could experiment and see the what "if"s of all that.  (I taught math and science before becomeing the computer teacher).

I think the real testimony is that almost a quarter of my 7th grade students of both genders have downloaded Squeak for use at home.  They come flying into my class and tell me something they'v learned at HOME.  I wish there was more documentation that I could understand or that was organized.  But bit by bit, I discover it and then furiously try and teach it to myself through the generiosity of the people on this list and elsewhere.

Thank you everyone and I hope my WinterWonder Land project might help you.  I can send examples if you'd like of student work, with their permission of course.

marsha