[Squeakland] New member questions

david raftery dgraftery at verizon.net
Sun Feb 22 23:31:54 PST 2004

Hi,

I have just joined this list.  I have 2 children, a 9 year old daughter and 13 year old son, who I want to introduce to Squeak.  I have played around a little with the E-Toy environment, but always seemed to run into dead ends.  I just purchased BJ and Kim's book Powerful Ideas in the Classroom.  This book has helped me a lot on how to do projects with E-Toys.  I just discovered this list today, with great joy. I am starting to go thru the archives of this list to see what I can learn there.

With the plugin, it took me awhile to figure out that I had to hold down the mouse button over the Publish and Find buttons to get the expanded menu so I could save projects on my hard drive.

A couple of questions:

What is the difference between the Squeak Plugin and the full Squeak Image? I have downloaded both, and actually have more experience working in the full Squeak image.  I can see that the Plugin only has 2 flaps and does not have the world menu when you click in the world. Is there a way to access the World menu from the Plugin?  How can I tell what the version of the plugin is?

It seems like the Plugin version does not save the image between sesions, like the Full image does.  The Plugin appears only to let you save projects; is this true?  Would you recommend using the Plugin or Full version at home?

Is there a Squeakland Swiki, where we can post information, and tutorials as we learn?  I would like to write some tutorials as I learn more about squeak; I have a 'beginner's mind' right now. Or should we use the main Squeak swiki?

Thanks for this service (and for Squeak).  You will probably be getting a lot of questions from me; I'll be glad to help others as I learn more too, both Squeak and my experiences teaching my kids.

Dave Raftery