[Squeakland] drive-a-car newbie questions

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 25 06:05:21 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm going to swallow my pride and ask the list... I just finished the
drive-a-car (Proj 2) in "Powerful Ideas..." and at the end, after I've
built the script to have the car turn in circles, I see the "Challenge"
sidebar with the various geometric shapes.  But I have no idea how to
make a simple square.  I don't believe I've learned anything up to this
point that tells me how to "stop after traveling distance X" (so I can
change my heading).  The geometric shapes would seem to involve
conditionals.  Please enlighten this "professional" programmer :)
Related, is there a searchable archive for the Squeakland list? (I found
the raw archive)

Also, just some newbie feedback, the term "forward by N" seems a bit
confusing.  It really is "speed", isn't it?  And if so, wouldn't every
1st-grader on understand the concept of speed?

thanks, Randy