[Squeakland] drive-a-car newbie questions

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Sun Feb 29 10:18:15 PST 2004

Hi Ken --

What tack did you take in your thesis (Andreas -- Ken`s thesis, called
Director, was one of the first to use various kinds of clocks to tick
processes along)?

Also, if you look in the menu in the etoy scriptor, there is an entry
called "fires per tick". This is a somewhat kludgey but useful way of
relating the animation time (ticks per second) to the number of times
through a script per tick.Normally, these are 1:1, but can be as fast as
10000:1, which is fast enough to write an etoy that will step through and
play samples at audio rates (see the Sampling etoy).

And, the Croquet stuff we are doing uses some of Dave Reed`s ideas (he is
one of the 3 main folks), and this involves some interesting relationships
between pseudotimelines and realtimelines.

Cheers,

Alan